Sunday, April 26, 2015

2956 - Happy?

OK this is straight from the article. I have all five. How about you?


5 Unexpected Things Happy People Have in Their Homes

A mess...
Happy people know how to live in the moment and they know that obsessing over a mess is just no fun. Sure, there are times when you have to buckle down and get things clean, but those times can wait until the fun is over. There's no need to fret about making a mess while you're having a party, doing a craft project or cooking a huge meal. The chores will get done eventually and in the meantime, you're really living.

A hobby...
People who have a hobby tend to be more satisfied and happy because they get to spend time doing a relaxing activity they enjoy. It's so nice to come home from work or take an hour away from doing chores on the weekend to focus on something that is purely for you and for fun. It's not about the hobby, it's about the act of prioritizing yourself and your happiness.

A hand-me-down...
At first glance a hand-me-down may seem like a placeholder, a thing you got for free that you'll keep until you can afford something better. Not so. Hand-me-downs have something going for them that no new piece ever can: history. What do I see when I look at my grandmother's plates? Chips and an old fashioned pattern, sure, but I also remember all the great meals I've eaten at my grandma's house and that makes me happier than anything.

A plant...
You don't need science to tell you that a green thing in your home makes you feel more relaxed and happy. Is it all that CO2 being converted to oxygen? Perhaps. Maybe it's the feeling of caring for a living thing. Sure. We just know that plants are always a good idea for a calm and happy home.

An almost-used-up luxury...
Why almost used up? Because it's evidence that you're enjoying it! What's the point of splurging on a beautiful candle or a cashmere throw if you're only going to store it away. Happy people know that treating themselves to simple little pleasures every day is a big step towards all-the-time satisfaction. Go ahead and use the thing you've been saving for a "special occasion." That day is today.


5 comments:

Banana Oil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eViL pOp TaRt said...

Those are all good points! I like my mess!

Banana Oil said...

It's always good to smell the roses.

Bilbo said...

Our house is almost always messy, but we don't have any live plants inside. We both have black thumbs for houseplants.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have all of them so I am apparently happy happy happy. :-)
My mess is contained in one room - my bedroom, but that counts right?