Thursday, December 31, 2015

3205 - The flood waters are rising!!


The flood waters are rising! The flood waters are rising! Where? EVERYWHERE! Here's a map that shows the closed roads in the St. Louis area. (you can blow it up)



I marked the Meramec river in blue to make it a little more obvious on the map. The Mississippi river is just off the map in the lower right corner. I put a red plus sign where I live.

As you can see roads are closed everywhere. And anyone that wants to go southeast or south hasn't got many options. The only road left open is I55. See the red circle where I55 crosses the Meramec river? Road crews are sandbagging like crazy to keep it from going under. If it does go under there will be no way to get out of the St. Louis area to the southeast or south for a day or two.

There was a video of a house smashing into a bridge on the national news. I can't find the video online. But if you happened to have seen it, it's where the red arrow is on the map. It looks close to my house. But on survey maps they show the river at around 400 feet. My house is close to 600 feet. So there is quite a drop down to the river valley from my house.

Here's the NBC national news coverage of the event. When they show the intersection of I44 and 141, it will be in the upper left corner of the map. It has the most trouble circles on the map.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/midwest-flooding-death-toll-at-least-20-as-rivers-continue-to-rise-593758275985

I'm close to a V type intersection. I'm in the middle of the V. I look out my front window and see cars crawling along. I look out my back window and see ... cars crawling along. I think I'm staying in for a couple of days.

Oh, Happy New Year.

8 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Be safe, Mike! I hope the waters don't encroach on where you live!

John A Hill said...

The kids arrived from Chicago safely last night after some lengthy detours southwest of St Louis.

Many blessings in the coming year!

Anemone said...

Beaucoop blessings for 2016!

Grand Crapaud said...

I hope you're spared the flooding, Mike!

Linda Kay said...

Been thinking of you and the rising flood waters. You are pretty close to the flooding, I'd say, so be safe and keep up with the water measurement. Get your boat handy as well, just in case. Blessings in the New Year. We were in St. Louis the last time the flood came up onto the steps of the Arch. The speed of the rushing water was amazing to see. Happy 2016!

Brandi said...

I'm praying for your safety, Mike!

Bilbo said...

Hope you and Claudia are all right. I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to you before you finally write me a letter.

allenwoodhaven said...

I've lived through a major flood and know what enough (too much!) water can do. I'd guess that you are one to be disaster aware and prepared more than average. I also hope my guess is right! Be safe and good luck.

Happy New Year to you and yours!