Tuesday, September 18, 2018

4179 - Woman in the mirror


So the other day Claudia and I were sitting in the drive-through lane at McDonald's. It was a remodeled McDonald's that had the dual lanes. Things were moving slow. The gal in front of us had ordered and so had the guy in the left lane. We were all just waiting to move.

Then the car at the merge point finally moved up one car length. The gal in front of me should have gone next and the guy in the left lane was waiting for her to go. I can see her in her side mirror. She's texting. So I wait a little bit. Surely she'll see that the car ahead has moved up. Nope, still texting. The guy in the left lane is still waiting.

So it's time to get her attention. I hit the horn. Just a little tap. beep. Nothing. Still texting. So now I have to get her ATTENTION. BEEP! Not long but loud.

I get this look.


I point at the open space in front of her. She goes back to texting for a few seconds then moves up. I move up and order. The line moves a little. The guy in the left lane moves into the single line. I move up behind him. Everything is back to normal.

My total was $17.52. I get up to the window to pay and the gal says that will be $7.52. I said I appreciate the discount but I think it's $17.52. Nope, she says, the guy in front of you paid $10.00 of your bill. Well, that was a nice surprise! I tried to wave thanks but he was gone.

Sometimes honking does pay off.


5 comments:

allenwoodhaven said...

Very nice!

Atomic Dog said...

That was righteous!

MarkD60 said...

Well, the texting girl HAD to wait a little while to pull forward, she couldn't let on that she wasn't paying attention, and she certainly couldn't let on that you influenced her! She had to let everyone know that she was in control....
Nice about the $10!

Mildred Ratched said...

Paying it forward is always great. I like to do it at toll booths, but I've been known to buy a stranger's lunch or dinner also.

It's at times like the ones you describe when an electric cattle prod would come in handy. I bet that would have gotten her attention! I hate cell phones and yes, I have one but I have never texted while I'm in a car and I rarely turn it on while I'm in a car. I take it along with me just in case I need it and I rarely need it. The exception to that is when I go to a doctor. I have all my health info and meds I take saved on the Health app.

John A Hill said...

I often see people texting at stop lights or other places while in their cars. Technically, it is still considered texting while operating a motor vehicle and is illegal in most states. Too bad it isn't enforced.