Saturday, May 30, 2009

802 - Happy Saturday

Have you been to Bilbo's cartoon Saturday yet? Are you happy? Yes? I can fix that.


Headline - New leathal virus detected that is similar to Ebola.


And then there is the con. Somebody's always after your money. Here's how some of them do it. (this particular article is from Parade magazine)

************************

Would you recognize a potential swindle?

People who lose money to scammers aren’t always at fault. Here’s a scheme that would be difficult for someone to spot in advance.

Let’s say a financial con artist tells 1000 potential clients that a particular stock will go up on a given day. He tells 1000 others that the same stock will go down.
Say the stock goes up. The man focuses on the first 1000 people, as they think he got it right. He then chooses a different stock and tells 500 of them the stock will go up. He tells the other 500 it will go down. No matter what the stock does, 500 possible clients think he got it right again. So after repeating this a few times, the fellow winds up with a list of people convinced he has predictive powers—and ready to give him their life savings.

While this ruse isn’t a pyramid scheme, it does illustrate how easy it is to concoct ways to trick people by preying on their wishful thinking.

**************************

So send me all your money. I'll take care of it for you. Trust me.

4 comments:

fiona said...

Blank cheque in the mail!

Mike said...

You should have hand delivered it. I don't trust the post office.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Oye!

Bilbo said...

I'd send you all my money, but my own financial advisor already took care of losing it for me.

vw - slymen: crooks.