Friday, July 02, 2010

1196 - Highways

The news had a story on the deadliest highways in the US. Of course in the 2 minute sound bite we only heard about three of them. They said for more info go to our website. So I did. They had a whole two more highways listed. But they got a hit from me on their site so they get to charge their advertisers a little more money.

So where to go from here. The story did mention where they got 'their' information from. How nice, a source. Off I go to the 100 deadliest highways in the US. You can go look HERE.

It's got pretty much all the states covered. As a matter of fact, I may never leave St. Louis again. Every highway leaving St. Louis is on the list. But like all lists there are a few problems. The list doesn't take into account city or rural, only interstates, etc., let alone any other factors. But hey, it's a list to talk about.

So from there I found another site that's going after big trucks on the highways. They want to limit the speed limit of big trucks to 65 on all interstates. And here's an interesting fact from the SITE. By law, all big rigs have had speed governors installed on them since 1992. But there's no law that says they have to use them. Our fine government at work.

If you haven't gotten enough statistics yet, hold on! Here's a quote from the following SITE.

"We have stats on everything from toothless residents to percentage of carpoolers. Our database is increasing all the time, so be sure to check back with us regularly."

What more could you want!?

 

6 comments:

Bandit said...

There's a law requiring big rigs to have govenors but no law that says they have to use them. Why am I not suprised as I am scratching my head?

Just the other day I had a guy on a crotch rocket pass me up doing a wheelie.

Mike said...

B - A bunch of politicians got to pat themselves on the back for passing a toothless law about regulating big trucks.

Wv: blygydal - That old Illinois governors' cousin.

Schmoop said...

Ohio interstates are ranked in the 90's? I can't believe it, because people 'round here can't fricking drive. Amazing. Cheers Mike!!

Jay said...

This is why they need to commit more funds to develop reliable teleportation technology.

Bilbo said...

Go, Jay! Not only could we go places faster, but we could send all those useless political airheads to someplace appropriate, like Pluto.

vw: fledici - A Medici on the run.

Mike said...

MM - I know. In high school I remember watching all the Ohio troopers at accident scenes in driving class.

J - That damn Scotty never did tell anybody how he did that before he died.

B - I think Jupiter would be more appropriate since it's a gas giant.