Thursday, November 20, 2014

2799 - Ferguson


Ah Ferguson. The new replacement buzzword for Watts. Everyone remembers Watts right? Maybe not. After all it did happen in 1965. My first year of college. That was a long time ago.

Anyway, Ferguson is now the new buzzword for urban unrest. Except it's not urban it's suburban. St. Louis City (pop 320k) is surrounded on the Missouri side by 90 smaller cities. They range in population from 12 to 51,812 and everything in between, including large unincorporated areas. A little over 1M total. Ferguson at 22,406 is one of the larger cities. The St. Louis Metro area including Illinois is around 2.3M.

Ferguson is located in North St. Louis County.


Here's St. Louis County (inside the purple line). Ferguson is approximately where the red mark is. Above the S in St. Louis.


I live in South St. Louis County. A little bit above the n in Arnold. It would take me on a good day 45 minutes to drive to Ferguson. Double that on a bad day.

I think I've been to Ferguson but I can't remember when. It's just not on my beaten path.

So how much do I know about what's happening in Ferguson? Not much more than what's on the news. I don't know anyone that lives there. I don't know many people that live north of the midline of the area.

So this problem could be happening in any city as far as I'm concerned. It's just another news item on the nightly news.

Now the latest news from the protester camp is that they will protest in Ferguson, St. Louis City, Clayton (the county seat), and some other North County police departments. Again, I'll be watching on the news just like everyone else.

So that's the update on Ferguson from South County.


4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Thanks for the geography update. That's a lot of satellite cities around St. Louis.

Linda Kay said...

Mike we lived in St. Louis some years ago, and we loved the city. But it does seem to be a hot spot for conflict, doesn't it. Thanks for the update. I feel sorry for the police department and the business people in the area who are anticipating trouble. Craziness.

Claudia said...

Mike says the unrest follows me because I have lived in the Milwaukee (WI)area, Madison (WI) and now St. Louis during turbulent times. He's right! Power to the People! (Fist pump)

Bilbo said...

Keep your head down.