Wednesday, November 25, 2015

3169 - Puzzles


Here's some number mems for today.


So let's see. This has to be a square because if it were a triangular base the backside would be equal to the square root of 2 and it wouldn't be an even number of balls.

So the base has 16 balls, the second level has 9 balls, the third has 4 balls and the top 1. 6 plus 9 plus 4 plus 1.... 20 .... carry the 2 ..... 1 plus 2 .... 3 and 0 .... 30 balls. Am I in the 5% or was I fooled?



Then there was this. I think this is just cool. I checked the last one. I assume the rest are correct. Write a term paper to show why this works (due tomorrow).




Find the one that's different. Find it in less than (arbitrary time) to prove your worth to society! Ready set GO!



6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Gee, I don't have the faintest idea how to do the last two.

I think the first one is 30.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer said...

The one in the 20th row is different.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

ah, who cares, I'm the person who'd knock 'em over. (cuz I suck at math)

John A Hill said...

I actually think the first is a triangular base, not square. That would make it 20.
10,6,3,1.
I have a four piece puzzle that looks like this.

Linda Kay said...

Okay so John has a totally different approach. I'm not writing an essay for you on why that 2nd one works, but some mathematician probably spent a few hours, funded by the government to design it. What do you think? We're flying into St. Louis on the 18th to drive to central Illinois. Please keep the weather clear and sunny! Have a really special Thanksgiving Day.

Cherdo said...

Math based puzzles might get me, but I can spot the "one different" or pattern change instantaneously. Unfortunately, I cannot monetize this skill. Meh.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mike! I'm thankful for the smiles you provide daily. <3