Monday, February 08, 2016

3254 - Monday maintenance


What kind of maintenance? Shower kind. Do you have one of these?


When is the last time you gave the drain a good flush? I do it when I hear the drain talking back at me with a muffled tone. That's right, your drain talks to you.

If the drain is running clear, it will have a high pitched crackle to it. If there is gunk starting to build up in it, it will have a more muffled sound. So what to do?

Well, you get to spend some extra time in the shower to do this. Put one foot over one side of the drain. Tuck your heel on the other foot into your arch of the foot already on the drain. Make sure you have a good seal over the drain.

Now let the shower pan fill about three fourths of the way up. No I will not take responsibility for you flooding your bathroom! Now just take your feet off. By the time the last of the water is draining out there should be a huge sucking sound. After all the water is drained, the sound from the drain should have a higher pitch to it. No? Do it again. Maybe three times.

All the sounds are assuming you have plastic pipes. I'm not sure what cast iron pipes would sound like. I changed my cast iron out years ago and don't remember the tunes they played.


4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It sounds like a neat trick!

Linda Kay said...

Well, aren't you the clever one. I have an imagine in my brain of the feet crossing over the drain and water running out some unknown hole in the threshold. I listen for the singing in my next shower!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Good move!

allenwoodhaven said...

An interesting method. I'll have to try it. I have noticed different sounds from kitchen sinks.