Monday, May 25, 2020

4789 - Push it real good


Had to call the plumber Saturday. The sewer was not sewering. I tried what the meme below said but the sewer pipe was having none of it. I tracked it down to an outside blockage. I thought it was not to far from the clean out next to the house. I could go buy a 50 foot auger and clear it myself.

The more I thought about it the more it sounded like too much work. About 10 years ago I had someone out and it cost $200 on a Saturday. I called and they said $235. I gritted my teeth and said come on over.


He ran his industrial sized snake into the clean out. It kept going in. The farther it went in the happier I was I didn't try this myself. He finally hit something. I said how far in are you? He said about 110 feet. Best $235 I spent in a long time.

I wish I was thinking faster so I could have played this song while he was snaking.





What day is it? Memorial day! Time to go out and plant some flags along the driveway.



8 comments:

Cloudia said...

I have a motto: this is what money's for. like when you're in New York City in January for work and it's late at night and you want to go back to your hotel. You don't save money by taking the subway. That's what money's for! Or your thing

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What the hell have you been flushing down the toilet, Mike?

BootsandBraids said...

Don't answer Debra, cause I don't wanna know. LOL.

Kirk said...

$235? Just flushing money down the toilet.

Mike said...

C - It's funny what some people will spend money on and refuse to spend on certain other things. My really big bugaboo about paying for something is paying for parking. I'll walk quite a ways to avoid paying for parking.

D - This could be a whole post in it self. It's about 200 feet to the street sewer. The guy asked if we had a garbage disposal which we do. The farther the disposed of stuff gets down the cold underground pipe the more it solidifies until it gets to a point where it forms a ball of goop. We had a new plastic sewer line installed about 22 years ago. He said we were lucky to have gone that long without a clog. He says sewer pipes that are that long should be routed out every 5 years or so. I don't know what a weekday non-emergency would cost. Probably half at least.

BB - Just regular stuff.

K - Money well spent this time. Like I said, the further he went the happier I was I didn't try it myself.

MarkD60 said...

I've learned that for a lot of things, it's better to make a phone call and let someone else do it. Seems like an especially good idea when the sewer isn't sewereing.

Mildred Ratched said...

I don't want to know what you've been flushing down your toilet. What I want to know is what you've been eating so I won't eat that...EVER!!!lol

Mike said...

MD - It was definitely a call this time.

MR - Anything with sugar. That's my favorite.