Wednesday, December 31, 2008

656 - CO2

That's carbon dioxide. The global warming gas. But it can also be the sick building gas. Sick Building Syndrome can be caused by a bunch of different things but let's go back 10 or so years. I was working in a newly opened building. At first everything was OK but as more people moved in it felt like I had a mild sore throat all the time. I mentioned this to 'whomever' and the environmental guy showed up. He checked for all the bad stuff and came back to tell me that the co2 levels were right at the limits. (Then the limits were 1000ppm) The fix was to bring more fresh air into the building. And it worked.

Now picture me working from home. In the basement. In the fall, so the AC or the heat is not on. What does that mean? Stagnant air in the basement. After a few days I'm starting to feel sick. Then the light bulb comes on as it does every once in awhile. I turn on the blower motor for the HVC system, air circulates, and I feel better. All fixed. So anytime the AC or the heat is not turned on I make sure the blower motor runs for awhile everyday to circulate the air.

3 comments:

lacochran said...

See? Circulating is a good thing.

Amanda said...

Interesting....I'm trying to track down the source of my sore-ish throat each morning. It goes away by breakfast....AC is on the whole night....

Mike said...

L - circulation is life itself (how's that for profound)

A - I guess depending on how big your bedroom is and if the door is closed and is the AC whole house or room AC or ........ fresh air, that's the solution, maybe.