Sunday, July 12, 2009

848 - Habitat pictures

Here's the gable wall in the morning. It had already been set in place and was braced. I circled the brace where it was attached at the top and where it went through the doorway.


Here's me working on the first truss behind the west end of the gable wall. The guy that really got hurt was right behind me on a ladder. When the wall went over I was standing in about the same spot with my back to the wall.

The sky and the wall are kind of hard to tell apart. It's easier to tell on the next picture.


Here's the guys working on the east end of the truss.


I found out through some emails yesterday that the west end of the wall didn't come off the house. That could explain why I didn't get hurt more. I probably only fell half the distance before the west end of the wall hit the ground with the east end still attached.

Here's a picture of the wall down all the way. The gable wall is mostly intact but the truss is broken.


Since there was a crane already on site they brought it over to the house and had it laying a new truss back up on top pretty quickly.


And then it put the gable wall back up. We were back in business within an hour.


The guy that got hurt was released from the hospital that day. He'll have a 4 to 8 week recovery period.

6 comments:

bandit said...

Looks like you came out smelling like the perverbial rose.

Whwere is that site at?

Mike said...

It's near Grand and Page.

Bilbo said...

In the future, remember: the truss goes on the HOUSE, not on the WORKERS.

vw - butater: a spud served in the dining hall at Boston University.

Mike said...

I'm glad I'm not wearing a truss, of either kind.

Amanda said...

Hmmmm I thought I visited here on Sunday.....

Anyway, I'm just wondering, how long does it take to complete a house?

Mike said...

I came back here to refer to this post and found a comment from Amanda I never answered.

3-4 months of weekends and a few week days. Plus the electric, plumbing and drywall which is done by the trades.