Saturday, September 19, 2009

919 - I'm back deer

I wasn't sure how long the trip was going to be. It was about 3 hours from St. Louis for a funeral. Wifes' cousin. So Claudia got to make contact with a bunch of relatives she hasn't seen for awhile. One of her cousins came in from DC. She used to work for some congressmen. She doesn't anymore. She's a ...... lobbyist. And she's to cute to kill.

So on to the dear deer. We've been seeing more of the new suburban rat, better know as deer, around our house recently. And that's after the 80 acres across from us got developed years ago. There were some in my neighbors yard last week. 3 of them just standing there staring at me until they finally decided to leave. Saw 6 more along side the road as I was driving a couple of days ago.

Then there was yesterday up at Claudia's aunt's house where we stayed overnight. It was around 3 in the afternoon and I was outside her house which is next to a small patch of woods. There had been a bunch of squirrels running around so when I heard the crunch crunch I'm thinking squirrels running through the leaves. I turn around and there's a deer that had come up behind me and was munching on some tree leaves. It was about 7-8 feet away from me. It stared at me while I stared back.

So I said 'hello there'. Gone, like a flash. Just like I remember in the old days at the bars. It ran about 100 feet away and stopped. Then a deer friend came out from around the house next door and trotted down to the other one. Then they both left. Just like......

5 comments:

John A Hill said...

Funny story, Mike. What are the penalties for poaching in your area? Maybe the mayor could pull some strings for a special bow hunt in a local park or something to thin the population.

Amanda said...

So both you AND Bilbo get to see deer on a regular basis. We're jealous :)

If you don't like them....send them to me and Aaron!!

Bilbo said...

Oooooh, Amanda...be careful what you wish for! I'm going out right now to look for a REALLY BIG box...

Bandit said...

What John said. Tell city hall to hire Jerry.

Mike said...

J - There are people around here that would love to do that but there is no firing of weapons allowed here.

A - I'll refer you to Bilbos' comment.

B - Christmas at Amandas could be very interesting.

B - When I turned and saw that deer yesterday the first person I thought of was Jerry. I thought what's so hard about hunting deer?! It would be like hunting cows.