Sunday, December 26, 2021

5374 - Holiday eating tips Sunday


HOLIDAY EATING TIPS   

1.   Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.   

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly, it's rare. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!   

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.   

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission. 

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?   

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.   

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.   

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert, Labor Day?   

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories but avoid it at all costs. I mean, have some standards.   

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by...   
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand and wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " WOO-HOO   what a ride!"   MERRY CHRISTMAS!


18 comments:

John A Hill said...

Pile the plate high. Only the people sitting near you will see it.
EVERYBODY will see you going back for seconds and thirds!

Mike said...

John - Good advice!

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh at the fruit cake prejudice.
It is years since I have seen egg nog - and I remember liking it. A LOT.

Bilbo said...

#3!!! Also applies to rich sauces and au jus. I know ... I'm married to the Queen of Sauces.

Shaw Kenawe said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this guilt-free advice!

Holding up a mug of eggnog laced with rum: Cheers!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahaha, very wise advice! My favourite line -- "When else do you get to have more than one dessert, Labor Day?"

Kirk said...

I remember a few years ago trying to buy egg nog on Christmas Eve and the stores being all out. Now, I take no chances. Bought four skinny cartons about a week ago, and they're good until January, though I'll have no doubt consumed them by then.

Mike said...

Sue - If I get a fruit cake I'll send it to you. Egg nog is the best!

Bill - Not that I'm comparing them, but I get Marie Calendars Healthy Choice frozen dinners as a backup to have in the freezer. They have sauces under the food so when you heat them they heat separately. Then you mix them after heating. Almost all of the dinners are low fat.

Shaw - Cheers back at you!

Deb - It was apple pie yesterday. And it's gone.

Kirk - Luckily I've had egg nog twice already this season. I went to the store on Christmas eve this year looking for some. I KNEW there wouldn't be any but went anyway. I should have taken a picture of me looking at three empty shelves.

Ole phat stu said...

Just had venison steaks in morchel gravy. Washed down with winterbock strong beer. Or is that just s German thing?

Mike said...

Stu - I think that is very German. Around here turkey is in first place, then ham, then pork. (I know) I don't like turkey that much but could eat pork every day.

Mary Kirkland said...

I hope you had a nice Christmas.

Kathy G said...

I used to be able to follow all this advice, but once I hit 60 if I have too much rich food I feel like s**t and decided it's not worth it.

Instead of doing everything in one meal I've been spreading it out. For the past few days I have been adding egg nog to my coffee. It's delicious. I've doubled (and sometimes tripled) my daily quotient of snacks. At other times of the year dessert is rarely on the menu, but from not until at least the new year it's a must.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

These rules, I'd gladly follow. In fact, I have been.
Cheers and good tidings, Mike. BTW, what are tidings?

Enjoy the last few days of 2021.

Mike said...

Kathy - I wish there was a way to just live on desserts. I may start following you around and when you get to dessert, ask you, You gonna eat that?

Robyn - I looked it up. Tidings means good news. So you wished me good good news. I guess that means great news!
A tiding is also a flock of magpies. So take your pick. But I can do without a flock of magpies.

Cloudia said...

What a ride!

Mike said...

Cloudia - I'm hoping my ride lasts a little longer than normal.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well look at you, very Miss Manners of you. Good tips to follow at any party. No one eats those carrots!

Mike said...

Peg - I'll eat one just so the host doesn't think it was a waste of time to put them out.