Thursday, May 05, 2022

5506 - Cinco de Mayo


It's the 5th of May! Yeaaaaa! It's the anniversary of Mexico's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862! Who cares? Americans! Why? It's another excuse to go out drinking. It's always good to have an excuse least you be called an alcoholic. We wouldn't want that, would we?

I found this in a short Wikipedia article (I didn't know this)...


Elsewhere
Events tied to Cinco de Mayo also occur outside Mexico and the United States. As in the United States, celebrations elsewhere also emphasize Mexican cuisine, culture, and music. For example, some Canadian pubs play Mexican music and serve Mexican food and drink, and a sky-diving club near Vancouver holds a Cinco de Mayo skydiving event. In the Cayman Islands, in the Caribbean, there is an annual Cinco de Mayo air guitar competition, and at Montego Bay, Jamaica, there is a Cinco de Mayo celebration. The city of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, holds an annual Mexican Festival to honor the day, and celebrations are held in London and New Zealand. Other celebrations of the day can also be found in Cape Town, South Africa, Lagos, Nigeria, and in Paris. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in Japan in Osaka and in Tokyo's Yoyogi Park Event Space as a celebration of Latin American culture.



Well, it's good to know other countries need an excuse to drink too.


16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

We don't seem to need an excuse here. Other than its Friday, the weekend, knock off time...

Mike said...

Sue - So your excuse is you don't need one?

River said...

Brisbane holds a celebration? I'm surprised. Like Sue says, Aussies don't need an excuse to crack a tinnie. (open a beer can)

Ol' Simmons said...

Strange, in a way, that they celebrate winning a battle while losing the war. As far as excuses for drinking, I've never really needed any. I don't drink a lot, but I do like to sip on some good bourbon occasionally, but not to get drunk. I have been drunk before and didn't like it, especially the next day.

Bilbo said...

I don't need any excuse to drink, which seems to put me in the august company of most of your readers. And I'm getting auguster every day as this verkakte year drags on.

Shaw Kenawe said...

It's also Karl Marx's birthday -- Karl Marx/Date of birth
May 5, 1818

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Cinco de Mayo is not widely observed here in Canada. But we are getting more Mexican immigrants these days, so it is starting to pop up here and there.

Mr. Shife said...

We just need an excuse seems like a great and appropriate tagline for the US.

Mike said...

River - But an excuse makes it morally right. Right?

Simmons - I actually quit imbibing a while ago. My Gastro Doc said no alcohol, no spices, and something else that I can't think of right now.

Bill - You made me look up august company. Interesting.

Shaw - It's better to celebrate Karl's death.

Deb - It looks like the celebration is migrating along with the Mexicans.

Mike said...

Matt - If you need one more excuse for today I just got you out of spam jail.

MarkD60 said...

We're having our Cinco de Mayo party tomorrow. We had mandatory staff meetings today...

Mike said...

Mark - Two for one drinks since they are a day late.

Bohemian said...

I think any Cultural Celebration is wonderful and I gladly join in. Salud, I raise my Corona to your Margarita, Dos Equis, whatever you felt was appropriate to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo? *winks*

Susan Kane said...

We lived in San Diego county for decades. I taught in public school for 20 years, many hispanic students. May 5 was a big day at the school and around the cities.

Mike said...

Dawn - I think if someone checked, there would be a celebration about something every day.

Susan - Here too.

Country Cottage said...

First time I've ever heard of it - no celebrations here but I'll pop down the pub and start a new tradition 😁