Monday, March 27, 2023

5833 - Spam comments - NOT!

Well, I assume people know that blogger is reviewing comments back to the beginning of time and putting many in the spam folder. Here's what I did and then corrected what I was doing to get comments back. Sorry these aren't bigger. Blow them up. 

Click on Design then Comments. You see the latest comments.



Click on the down arrow next to All. The three choices will pop up. As you can see I had 122 comments in the spam folder.



Click on the spam folder to see all 122 waiting for your decision.


Here's where I messed up the first time because I handled it like I had in the past when there were just a few comments. I would go on each line and make a decision for each comment. I did that 150 times when this first started. Faceplam! See the word "Manage"? Click on it. It brings up the choice to handle all the comments all at once! Click the box. Click the check mark. 



Then a little box pops up. Click Publish. All the comments are restored. I've been doing this every day for a week now. At times not all the comments were restored and I had to redo the process again. Twice was the most I had to do.



Hooray, spam = 0.



Click the down arrow again to see spam 0.


What it looks like to me, is blogger is picking on short, one, or two word comments. But they are easy enough to restore. If you haven't looked at your spam comments recently there are going to be a LOT of them to restore.


15 comments:

River said...

I don't get many in my spam folder, but I republish individually because some of them are actually spam and I delete those.

Mike said...

River - So maybe blogger is picking on me? ACCKKK! I've been getting 100 to 150 a day. Some comments going back to 2007. I went through the first 150 one at a time until I found the "all" check box.

Elephant's Child said...

Like River I get only a few comments marked as spam. Including my own comments on my own blog which infuriates me.

Bilbo said...

Geez ... I had 638 comments in my spam folder. I was also surprised to find, like Elephant's Child, that I had some of my own comments answering other comments which were marked as spam. Way to go, Blogger!

Martha said...

I used to get a lot of comments in the spam folder. And I didn't even realize they were there for the longest time! Now I check every few days. But I only find a few each week.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I always check the spam file so I don't get a big build-up of legit comments languishing in there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hmm...i don't have any. I may need to look again, I can't be that lucky.

Kathy G said...

It seems to me like Blogger does pick on people at different times. Although I might have your issue next week, each time I check the spam comment folder there are only a few there.

Cloudia said...

Yeah it's really interesting going through those old comments, Mike. Where did some of those people go? Some are dead. Some just disappeared. Maybe I'll pay some of the new visit... If I get some free time.... Staying busy as usual. I hope Claudia is feeling well.

Ole phat Stu said...

I avoid this problem? By making you good folks email me directly lnstead of offering a commenting tool. Sorry, but it works.

Mike said...

Sue - Yes, I've found my own comments in spam. WTF!

Bill - You win the prize for most comments.

Martha - I hope your luck holds out.

Deb - I don't think I've found any 'new' comments in there recently. I don't know what's going on.

******
I just checked. Only three today.

allenwoodhaven commented on "4601 - Long joke Sunday"
Nov 18, 2019
Ha!

Cloudia commented on "3957 - Live longer"
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks

Raquel's World commented on "1764 - Mouse"
Jan 16, 2012
Funny

This is what I was talking about most of them being one-word comments.
******

Peg - Not many people leave one-word comments on your blog.

Kathy - Count yourself lucky so far.

Cloudia - Yes, a good example is the comment from 'Raquel's World'. She's been gone for a long time. And she didn't announce or explain anything. She just disappeared.

Stu - I get to many emails already. I'm afraid comments would get lost in my 'delete' email purges.

Susan Kane said...

I am doing battle with Blogger as well. On some sites, it won't let me comment under my name. Just anonymous.

Do you ever get the feeling that the noose is tightening around our freedoms across the board? Agatha Christie is under scrutiny.

Mike said...

Susan - It probably has more to do with the person's blog you're trying to comment on rather than you.

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for the heads up on how to manage multiple comments mislabeled as spam. They have got to my blog today and I have rescued dozens of comments.
Re Susan's issue, if she hasn't visited that blog for a while she probably needs to sign in to Google.

Mike said...

Sue - I'm glad you're catching them early and only have dozens and not hundreds.