Tuesday, May 30, 2023

5897 - PC fun!


Well, my PC is back working sort of. I downloaded a 'restore Windows 10' file. They said it might remove some applications. HA! SOME? Microsoft Office gone. Quicken gone. Every browser except Edge gone. Ccleaner gone. Malwarebytes gone. Textpad gone. 

I haven't been able to restore Chrome yet. I hope I can because a lot of my blog subject matter was in the Chrome bookmark file. My trees came back! My blog memes came back with a vengeance. When I use a meme I move it to a "used" file or delete it. MEMEs from years ago are suddenly back and the meme file is HUGE. 

I tried to restore Quicken. They want me to use the code they sent me in an email years ago. Once I get Outlook back, maybe I can do that. 

I tried to go to Dell to get Outlook 2016 back. They just sent me to Microsoft. Been there, Dell! All they want to do is sell you Office 365. No thanks.

And the Windows 10 that was restored is just a little different than the one I just lost. Just enough that I have to look for stuff that I knew where it was before.

Phtttttt!


16 comments:

Bilbo said...

Ah, yes ... the joys of working with (or "in spite of") Windows. I love my Mac.

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh.
Good luck.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congrats, sort of, I guess?

Mike said...

Bill - You just like your Mac because somebody else will fix it for you. 😁

Sue - Lots of phone calls today.

Deb - I have congrats but no ulations.

Ole phat Stu said...

Try Linux

Mike said...

Stu - It's probably changed a lot since it spun off of Unix. Back in the day at the phone company, all our programs (word porcessor, spreadsheet, etc.) were Unix based. I still have my Unix and Linux books.

Kathy G said...

Computers are amazing until they aren't. Good luck.

River said...

I'm using Edge and have no problems with it. Get your Malwarebytes back! I hope everything else gets sorted quickish.

Mike said...

Kathy - Put that on a T-shirt!

River - Malwarebytes is back. CCleaner is back. Textpad is back. Chrome is back but not favorites. Office 2016 is loaded but I can't log on Outlook. The online instuctions to fix Outlook has been running me in circles for an hour and a half. Breaktime. I'm listening to music right now. Van Halen, Jump! Because that's what I'm about to do.

Cloudia said...

You are a better man than I Mike! I think I'll just stick with my humble Chromebook.

Mike said...

Cloudia - I don't know if I could ever downsize. I've been working with full-size computers for too long. I don't even like the smartphone I have. I think it's a pain. More so than what I'm going through right now with my PC.

Kirk said...

Every so often on my laptop I get this message that says something like "to really enjoy Google, you need to switch to Chrome." So I click on "switch" and always get this message from, I guess, Microsoft that says something like "Edge is just as good as Chrome," and that apparently is that. Since I don't know what I'm missing, so be it.

Mike said...

Kirk - I think I've seen some program blasting another. I'm going to have to pay more attention and start writing this stuff down.

Ami said...

I bought this refurbished windows laptop something like 5 years ago.
First thing I did was go to Firefox to download. Kept getting, "ARE YOU SURE?!?! YOU ALREADY HAVE BING!!!"

ffs. I know that. Which is why I wanted firefox!

Best of luck, I hate computer shit. I appreciate having a computer to use and all, but damn what a pain in the ass.

John A Hill said...

I haven't had an actual computer or laptop in years.
Just me and my Chromebook.

Mike said...

Ami - That's because they are created by nerds who aren't normal people. 😄

John - I could be headed that way but I don't like the small screen. I have 2 27-inch monitors and I could use more.