Wednesday, February 14, 2024

6156 - Belize it or not


My daughter and 5 friends went on vacation to Belize. Not the mainland, but at a hotel on the peninsula, the Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton. A four-star hotel. 


They were there for 5 days. Nice vacation, right? What could go wrong? Well, their hotel room was robbed on their last day. The interesting thing is one of the girls bought a nanny cam to take along and they caught the guy on video. One of the groundskeepers. And he didn't notice the nanny cam until he'd been in the room for 7 minutes before he took the nanny cam. But the video was being uploaded to the cloud the whole time.

So the police pick him up and ask the girls if he took the camera how do you have pictures of him? Duhhh, the cloud!

How did he get in? The door was swiped with a housekeeper key about an hour before he went in but no housekeeper appeared. He just shows up in the room an hour later and went right to the safe and opened it up. He took a laptop, cell phone, and passport of one of the girls. Apparently, the safes have a passkey to get into them if someone forgets their combination. Real safe safe.

So the gal got her passport back but not her phone or laptop because the thief "threw them into the canal". 

I've seen this same situation on TV before. The crooks plan the robbery when they know the people are leaving and won't have time to do anything about the theft.

If I find out more I'll pass it along.



11 comments:

Cloudia said...

Sorry that happened.. you're right

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Thanks for that bummer of a story. Glad no one got hurt!

Will be interesting to see Hilton USA's response.

Bilbo said...

We stay in a lot of hotels which are maintained by a lot of minimum-wage workers. I never leave anything really valuable in the room safe; if possible, I keep everything of value locked in the trunk of our car when we're not in.

Shaw Kenawe said...

So sorry to read this. Glad everyone is safe.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good to be aware of this scenario. At least they got the passport back!

Lady M said...

Yikes - thanks for the warning.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow, I am so sorry. How awful for all the women. Scary. I knew the safes were not so safe, so I never used them. I always lock them in my suitcase which my husband thinks is funny. He thinks they can get in that as well.I argued they were hard-sided bags with double locks and he just laughed and laughed. Probably so. But they could steal from anywhere in the room and nothing feels so violating as that. I hope Hilton coughs up for them. Keep us posted.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That's horrible. So sorry to learn this. Glad he was caught - scumbag.

PS Kindly email me at Rawknrobyn@aol.com. Good news, my friend!

Kathy G said...

How awful! However, since they have evidence I hope the hotel throws the book at the offending employee.

Mike said...

Everyone - I haven't heard anymore as of today. Updates to follow.

River said...

I am glad he got caught but it's another reminder to myself to never go travelling.