Tuesday, September 30, 2008

555 - Five five five

Five five five - Where will it lead us? Out of a stock market that the business bastards have screwed up? I doubt it. So is 5 lucky or unlucky? Depends on who you are or more specificly your belief system.

From wikipedia -
In Cantonese, "five" sounds like the word "not" (symbol: 唔). When five appears in front of a lucky number, e.g. "58", the result is considered unlucky.
In Discordianism, 5 is seen as a very important number as demonstrated in the Law of Fives and The Pentabarf, which contains five rules.

You can also go to Virtue Science to pick up a few more ideas about five. I like the fact that 5 is a square pyramidal number.

And from the Virtue Science site I got lead to looking into Breatharianism. This cute little gem of a religion goes buy the philosophy that all you need to live is sunlight. That's right folks. You don't need no stinkin' food or water! The sun will sustain you. Trust me. Send me 700 billion dollars. All will be well.

And the Breatharianism link got me to Skeptics.com. (I think I'm remembering all these paths I took but I'm not sure) This site is offering the bent spoon award. It's sort of like the Darwin awards without people dying. It's a site that debunks psychics. And then every year the winner has the offer to levitate the award out of the building. So far no one has claimed it.

(OK, typo fixed. I swear somebody comes in after I'm done and inserts typos. No really!)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

5354 is a common number inserted into Malaysian English because the cantonese sounds for it mean "rubbish". One could say something like "Don't talk 5354".

lacochran said...

555 looks like SSS... the sound of the serpent. Yeah, let's work up a whole mythology about that.

Anonymous said...

i'm more interested in 666.. next time, write about that,k ?

Mike said...

Only 111 more posts to go