Saturday, July 11, 2009

847 - Habitat

Well it was an exciting day at habitat. About 10 am we were setting trusses. We had worked back to middle and had just moved to the front where the double truss gable wall was aready set by crane. It had your typical brace from the top of the window opening to the floor.

There were five or six of us trying to get the first truss in behind the gable wall. We were having trouble. Everybody was trying something to get it to fit when .... over went the gable wall. With me on it. After a 14' fall all seems to be well. It's a strange feeling when you start going over and know there's nothing you can do. I landed on my back on the wall. A ladder and a wheel barrow seemed to have decelerated the wall right at the end (I think).

I got off easy though. There was a guy right next to me on a ladder. He was half up into the gable area. When the wall went over a truss pulled him backwards over a beam (I think). He went to the hospital with two cracked vertibra.

I kept on working the rest of the day. I basiclly just got a few scrapes. I'll probably be sore today. When I got home yesterday I spent an hour in the whirlpool tub. Hopefully that will prevent some of the muscle soreness I'll have. I'll let you know how I feel later. If I can get out of bed.

.

6 comments:

Bilbo said...

Glad you weren't hurt any worse. Some people will grasp at any excuse to spend an hour in the whirlpool tub.

bandit said...

Ditto what Bilbo said! Using Bengay is better than having a cast on your arm or leg.

Mike said...

B - I don't need much of one. I'm going to milk this for a week.

B - I apparently bounce good.

little sis said...

big bro - you fly through the air with the greatest of ease, the daring young (old?) man on the flying trapeze! good grief, i'm grateful you weren't injured!!!

Mike said...

More tomorrow. I have pictures.

Amanda said...

Phew! Luckily you weren't hurt! Can't wait for the pictures.