Tuesday, February 03, 2009

691 - Fiona's meme

I was waiting for most people to respond to Fiona's meme so I could steal some ideas on what to talk about. It seems to have worked. I've got some comparisons that can tie us all together, a little bit.

The rules: I have to tell you ten honest things about myself in writing and then tag ten people to pass it on.

1. Chocolate, but not to much. I mentioned this in a comment on Fiona's blog. Hersey's Kisses in the fridge. Always ready (and cold) for a chocolate hit.

2. I think I can count on just over one hand the number of places I've lived. And if you could go to the top of the AT&T building in downtown St. Louis you could see them all (not counting college).

3. John, riding on the back of a truck isn't that much fun. Back in 'the day' St. Louis had two free newspapers delivered on Wednesday and Thursday. For a couple of years a friend and myself would get picked up by the carrier at 1AM, go to the newspaper plant; roll, deliver and throw 3000 papers from a platform on the back of a pickup truck, then get back home by 5AM for a little more sleep before school. The winters were the worst because your feet would freeze standing on that metal step for hours.

4. I can't stand spicy foods. Just being around spicy food makes my eyes water. Really.

5. I also wanted to be a vet. Then an architect. Wound up going to college to be a chemical engineer. Chemistry was easy for me. School was not. At the University of MO at Rolla it took most students five years to get out of there. It only took me a year and a half.

6. I still get together twice a year with the old high school football guys. And for the past few years I have been going to a once a month grade school group dinner.

7. I do habitat for humanity. And more than one Saturday of the build. Last year I made (guess here) 14 out of 17 build days.

8. I write letters to the editor like Bilbo. But it must be a lot easier to get published in the Midwest than on the East Coast. If I don't get published I feel I've failed. The local paper has a 60 day waiting period before they will publish you again so I pick my topics carefully. More than once I have written in only to regret that I was in my 60 day timeout period.

And just FYI what you see in the paper isn't necessarily what the person wrote. Letters to the editor get edited - a lot. I used the phrase 'bleeding wallet conservative' one time. They changed it to 'bleeding heart conservative'. Needless to say it changed the whole tone of the letter.

9. I had a new (demo) '68 Dodge Charger 383 4 barrel. That thing would get up and go. (9 mpg if I was lucky)

10. Also like Bilbo I don't particularly like doing these silly meme's. So as a pay back I've hacked into Fiona's computer cam. I'll start posting video's tomorrow. Honest! Trust me. Would I lie to you? Girl, you should get dressed before using the computer. You never know who's watching.

6 comments:

John A Hill said...

I'm confused...my son informed me that "back in the day" was always a Tuesday. Now you're saying Wednesday and Thursday. Could "back in the day" be any day?

Be careful with that webcam thing, Fiona might just hang some cayenne peppers and burn your eyes out of their sockets.

wv: dipsof: as in I like dipsof sour cream and onions.

Bilbo said...

You're right about the editing of letters to the editor. The one published by the Air Force Times was so heavily edited that what they published was the dead opposite of what I'd written to say. And I'm waiting to see those videos of Fiona...given what she wrote in yesterday's post, they ought to be interesting.

vw - staleg. A World War II German prison camp for Betty Grable?

lacochran said...

On #1, ever try the dark chocolate kisses? Ooo, or the almond ones? *insert Homer Simpson drool here* Ever freeze candy bars?
It's all good. All good. *slips into chocolate coma*

fiona said...

I've gone AWOL as of right now!

Anonymous said...

Aha! The phrase "makes my eyes water" makes me suspect Post-Dispatch editors are not only messing with your letters to the paper but are also hacking into your computer and changing the essence of your blogs. "makes my eyes water" is the mildest of things spicy foods do to you. You usually start the description of how miserable they make you by saying that they rip your lips off, and then you get more graphic from there.

Mike said...

J - cayenne peppers? I'd rather get bitten by a rattle snake.

B - And it makes you so happy to see your name at the bottom of your edited letter doesn't it?

L - little frozen snicker bars.

F - Got my chopper cam following you now.

C - no comment