Sunday, March 29, 2009

745 - Quotes

Here's something I haven't done in awhile. Go steal quotes from John. England John, not USA John. Although I did find out that USA John follows England John's daily posts from a comment. So I went back and picked out some quotes from a few years ago. And surprise. I ran across some duplicates. I think England John likes the first one a lot.


ANON or WILLIAM FAULKNER or Chinese Proverb
The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.

ANON
A little bit of help is better than a great deal of pity.

GANDHI
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

HECTOR BERLIOZ
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
There are three things which are extremely hard - steel, a diamond, and to know oneself.

RALPH WALDO EMERSON
Insist on being yourself. Never imitate.

HENRY VAN DYKE
Use what talent you possess. The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.

THE DALAI LAMA
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

WINSTON CHURCHILL
Success is never final.

CHARLES CALEB COLTON
Men will wrangle for religion, write for it, fight for it, die for it - will do anything but live for it.

JOHN QUINCY ADAMS
Old minds are like old horses. You must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.

ELEANOR ROOSEVELT
Learn from the mistakes of others.
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

MOTHER TERESA
If you judge people, you have no time to love them.

.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I like the 2nd one best.

When we first moved to Palembang, I felt pity every 5 mins. Not now though. I'm not claiming to help every 5 minutes but I have grown not to pity because its useless and often insulting.

Breck Carter said...

The second last (Roosevelt) was surprising. I thought I was well on the way... perhaps not :)

bandit said...

Amanda,

Your quote is as good as all the others. Unless pity leads to positive action, it is useless and often insulting.

fiona said...

John Quincy Adams gets my vote! :-)