Sunday, July 04, 2010

1198 - This doesn't happen often anymore

Claudia went to the grocery store yesterday. Not one of the big chains but a smaller independent (that's still in business). It's about half as big as a chain store and one tenth the size of a super sized walmart ... one twentieth.

So she's at the register with about $60 in groceries. She goes for the credit card and oops, it's not there. She had taken it out the other day and forgot to put it back.

She's only 5 minutes from our house so she says, "Can you just bag this stuff and hold it for me while I run home and get my card?" They ask her, "Don't you come in here all the time?" She says she does go in there a lot. They say, "Don't worry about it. We'll just open up a temporary store credit line for you and you can pay us next time your in here."

That's right. Don't worry about it. Pay us next time you come in. How many places is that going to happen in this day and age?


I'm looking at the date on this post. What's it about this date? I know somethings going on today.

 

10 comments:

Claudia said...

It's got something to do with being independent...

Bandit said...

I agree with Claudia but I think it goes a bit farther than that. It's community, trust, etc.

My Dad was a butcher and owned a corner grocery store. Back in the 50's and 60's it was commonplace for many of the regular customers to have a tab. My first chore was to sort soda bottles. I couldn't read yet but knew the different shapes and colors of the bottles that had to be returned to their respective companys to get the deposit.

Bandit said...

I read your comment on Bilbo's blog. What park and what band will perform Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture?

Bandit said...

I'm guessing Compton Heights band in Tower Grove Park.

John A Hill said...

I'm sure they would have said the same thing at Walmart--NOT!

Mike said...

Bandit - Francis park. And the band is a bunch of people with instuments. That's my guess anyway.

John - Right NOT! They would probably call security and make you put all the stuff back where it belonged.

Bilbo said...

I hear Twilight Zone music playing in the background as Rod Serling tells this story. I can't think of anyplace in the DC area where that would happen.

Mike said...

Bilbo - I was even a little surprised myself. Somehow I don't think they would have done that for me. Not that I don't look trustworthy. Trust me, I do.

Mike said...

I fixed a typo. I said 'today' in the first line but it was yesterday. That's because yesterday was today when I typed that. But now it's today and not yesterday when I typed that, so I changed today to yesterday. You probably didn't think that was possible to do but I did it.

So now it's back to today and Claudia went by and paid the store. Today. For Yesterday.

Bilbo said...

So, who's on first?

vw: humate - The wife of the president of China.