Thursday, November 10, 2011

1696 - Max the dog

I'm in pet hell right now. Max is 16 years old. He's doing good for his age, but when we got home yesterday afternoon he was on the floor and couldn't get up. I thought he had had a stroke. I would try and pick him up and he would just fall back down again. I made an appointment with the vet. I thought it was going to be a one way trip for him.

Once we were at the vets we found out about something I had never heard of before, Ataxia. Seems that ataxia affects the balance of an animal. That's why he was leaning to the right, going in a circle and falling down. His eyes were wandering, again from a balance problem.

So he got cortizone shots and an anti-nausia shot. It's going to take awhile for them to take effect. Possibly days. So we get to sit watch and wait. So far he's seems to be getting better, a little bit at a time.

Hang in there Max.

 

7 comments:

Nessa said...

Get well soon, Max! Mike needs a good dog to keep him out of trouble.

Dallas said...

I'll come and lay around with you like I do with Linda and Norman.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Izzy sends her get well wishes!

Bandit said...

The message from Dallas was to Max

Mike said...

Max says thanks to Nessa, Dallas and Izzy.

Bandit, as far as Linda goes you've already committed her.

Amanda said...

Poor Max! Hope he feels better soon.

Mike said...

A - He seems to be getting better by the minute. We'll see how long it lasts.