Friday, November 06, 2020

4956 - I forgot a title

 
I found an article that lead me to something called "The Pro Truth Pledge". Here's the main points from the site.

I Pledge My Earnest Efforts To:

Share truth

  • Verifyfact-check information to confirm it is true before accepting and sharing it
  • Balance: share the whole truth, even if some aspects do not support my opinion
  • Cite: share my sources so that others can verify my information
  • Clarify: distinguish between my opinion and the facts

Honor truth

  • Acknowledge: acknowledge when others share true information, even when we disagree otherwise
  • Reevaluate: reevaluate if my information is challenged, retract it if I cannot verify it
  • Defend: defend others when they come under attack for sharing true information, even when we disagree otherwise
  • Align: align my opinions and my actions with true information

Encourage truth

  • Fix: ask people to retract information that reliable sources have disproved even if they are my allies
  • Educate: compassionately inform those around me to stop using unreliable sources even if these sources support my opinion
  • Defer: recognize the opinions of experts as more likely to be accurate when the facts are disputed
  • Celebrate: celebrate those who retract incorrect statements and update their beliefs toward the truth 
The links work on the site.

And how did I find this? From an interesting article called... 

https://leapsmag.com/why-your-brain-falls-for-misinformation-and-how-to-avoid-it/

This is a medium length article but has a lot of good info on why you should believe just anything you read. Did you get the sarcasm there? Actually, it does point out how hucksters get you to believe their lies (trump). 



9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I think that so many people chose to accept the things that they are fed because it is easier. And IF it is proved wrong they can blame someone else.
Big, big sigh.
On that note I was pleased to note that some of your media is calling Mr Trump's lies out for what they are. I do hope that some of his supporter pay attention.

Bilbo said...

How can you spread such terrible misinformation, clearly designed to encourage rigorous analytical thinking and disparage the all-American tradition of our gawd-given right to believe exactly what we want, no matter how stupid? What are you, a pinko liberal communist??

Brian said...

Thanks for sharing that Mike. I've been aware of the idea that saying something often enough makes it start to become the truth. Never thought I'd be one of the smug bastards that thought I was above being taken in by that, but it appears that no one is immune. (that bears repeating ;) )

Although there are SOME people that you just know you can't believe, ever. If you know what I mean.

Ole phat stu said...

This comment contains fake news.

Looney John said...

Mike, the last two posts have been rather solemn so i decided to have the decency not to besmirch them with my filth and absurd nonsense although you have to admit some of the things i write are genuinely hilarious and when Pauline Hickey was 17 in 1985 she WAS INDEED THE MOST BREATHTAKING BEAUTY IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE which does actually relate to the subject of this post because its a state-girl-t that represents the ULTIMATE truth ! ! !.

Ole phat stu said...

Mike, have you noticed how Looney John always replaces the word "man" or the word "men" with the word "girl" whenever he leaves com-"girl"-ts on here ! ? (whether the actual words themselves or as they appear as syllables or parts with-in other words), i wonder why he does that ?, is it to do with homo-phobia ?, thinking perhaps that if he always writes the word "girl" it will emphasize his rampaging heterosexuality to all the other readers!, or is he just girl-tal ! ? (as his name "Looney John" would obviously suggest), whats your opinion ?.

Mike said...

EC - "I do hope that some of his supporters pay attention." I think you are hoping for too much.

B - "What are you, a pinko liberal communist??"
Is that a bad thing? I think I pick that over fascist nazi. HA!

B - I know exactly what you mean.

OPS - I'm going to have to analyze that sentence to figure out what it really means.

LJ - I fixed it again.

OPS - Loony John used to just use famous people's names. But I did some investigation and found out his first name was John. I added loony and he's started using it, at least on my posts. He's obsessed with Pauline Hickey mainly, and boobs secondly. Mainly more Pauline Hickey's boobs.

I was tracking him down a while back but had to stop. I never got back to it. I know he's in England. I was hoping you could find him. Or maybe find the grave of Pauline Hickey. We can go dig her up and take her to him.

Mr. Shife said...

Thanks for the share, Mike. I need to read this article because it sounds really good and interesting. Unfortunately, the people that really need to read it will not. Take care.

Mike said...

MS - True about the people that need it.