Thursday, May 27, 2021

5160 - Comments


Remember when I added this to my main page... ABOUT HALF THE BLOGGERS THAT LEAVE COMMENTS DON'T GENERATE AN EMAIL NOTICE. NO PROBLEM ON TODAYS BLOG. BUT WHEN YOU GO BACK TO AN OLDER BLOG I DON'T KNOW THE COMMENT IS THERE. SO I HAVE TO REMEMBER TO SCAN OLD POSTS FOR NEW COMMENTS. THE FIX IS TO PUT DAY OLD POSTS INTO COMMENT MODERATION. THAT GENERATES AN EMAIL. WE'LL SEE HOW THIS WORKS.

Well, it doesn't work too well either. A little better, but not much. I thought comment moderation would send me an email from the people I don't normally get emails from when they comment. Nope. (Bilbo, Kathy, Shaw, plus...?) Anyway, I found yesterday about 19 comments "awaiting moderation". So I moderated them. So is this a better system? Yes it is, now that I know to look there. At least I don't have to look at all the old post comments. 

Since I posted the above info, I'm going to wait until tomorrow for English 2. But in the theme of comments...

Remember this post? https://mikenet707.blogspot.com/2020/12/5003-ohhhhh-yeah.html The connect a dot theme? Well I used it on Tumblr. I tried to look at something on Tumblr and it made me create a login. I think I had one before but deleted it because Tumblr can be a bigger time suck that Facebook.

So anyway, I set up a login and put up one post, the dots post on the same day. Now that was on 12-21-20. So not that long ago. I've picked up 16 followers. I get emails every once in a while telling me I have a new follower. BUT, I happened to go there a few days ago and saw on my one post, 142,958 notes. In 6 months! On a site I don't pay any attention too.

Maybe I'll put up another post and see what happens.


12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I do get emails from most (but not all) of the people who comment. For which I am grateful.
I go to the comment section of my dashboard to check for others.
I have never received an email saying I have a new follower though - and resent that I cannot go to followers blogs unless they make a comment.

Mike said...

Sue - My new follower emails come from Tumblr.
I also found out that I can just put the URL to the comment setting on the bookmark bar and jump right to it to check it.

Bilbo said...

Because I don't check every blog every day, I'm glad that you get the message when I've commented on an older post. I've enabled comment moderation on older posts, too, and it's alerted me to a lot of stupid spam comments that show up on posts more than a year old. Weird.

Kathy G said...

Like Elephant's Child said, I have a handful of people that never generate a message email-no matter if it's an old post or a new one. So strange.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That must have been a helluva Tumblr post to get nearly 143 thousand notes! Or else you've been hit by bots.

Mike said...

Bill - I get less spam than I used to. Don't know why.

Kathy - I think it has something to do with Google+ which isn't even around anymore. But I never could prove it.

Deb - I had one person challenge the post saying it was anti-semetic. I proved them wrong. That may have started the ball rolling.

Shaw Kenawe said...

I checked the "Email follow-up comments." I hope that works.

Cloudia said...

Interesting observations. Thanks as always for sharing, Mike

Mike said...

Shaw - It didn't. I didn't get a notification for you but got one for Cloudia who commented right after you. I've even checked the blogger forums to no avail.

Cloudia - By the time I get a system figured out, blogger changes something.

Susan Kane said...

Blogger has betrayed many followers. I don't use email for comments, got frustrated.

BootsandBraids said...

Confusing it is. I went looking and, sure enough, found a bunch of email notifications for old posts.

Mike said...

Susan - Blogger can drive you nuts. But we get what we pay for.

Shirley - Surprise!!