Friday, October 01, 2021

5287 - Vaccination


Two weeks ago Claudia and I got our first Shingrex shot. It's a two month wait for the second one. I asked if we could get a flu shot also. They (Walgreens) said they would rather not with the shingles shot.

So we went back yesterday to get the flu shot AND a booster covid shot. We could get those two together. I made an appointment. We showed up at the appointed time. 

First question from the clerk, "can I see your Medicare card?" I handed her my AARP United Healthcare card. No, she says, "your medicare card." My what? I don't carry that. I haven't needed it since ... forever. I've got my UHC card. That's what I used to get the first two COVID shots. "Nope, we need your medicare card." You know, the one that doesn't have your SS number on it anymore?

She says, "here's the number for Medicare. You'll have to call them and get the number." 

Yeah this ought to be quick... not. So I called Medicare. And actually it was only a ten minute wait! Go figure. So I talk to the nice lady, give her all the info she wanted to verify who I was. Is she going to tell me my number? Nope. She's not allowed to tell me the number over the phone. But she can transfer me to someone that can tell me. OK. On hold. More music.

Only a five minute wait this time. Guess what. She needs to get some information from me. That's right, the same information I just gave the other gal. So we go through the procedure and now SHE can give me the number.

She must talk to a lot of old people. OK, she says, "first is a 4. OK, 4 I say. She says, 4 right? Yes, 4. OK, next is an A as in apple. OK, A. A? A." This went on for all eleven characters. And then she repeated the whole number, slowly, with me repeating everything back to her again.

Now Claudia needs her number also. She has to talk to Claudia. So I hand the phone over and Claudia answers all the questions. Then she starts with the here's your number thing with Claudia, who has Parkinson's and has a few problems writing. I don't want her to get this number wrong so I said I'll write it down. She hands the phone to me.

Nope, she has to give permission for me to write the number down. I hand the phone back. OK, she says, "who was that?" My husband. "What's his name?" (facepalm) So Claudia goes through the process of authorizing me to write the number down. Now I can write the number down. Remember "A, A, A?, A..."

Now I have the numbers. I go back up to the counter. "Fill out these forms." Three forms each, front and back. Now stand in line to 'not pay' because they are both free to us but they have to ring us up for $0.00 anyway. Now go sit and wait, we'll call you when the shots are ready.

Once the shots were ready it didn't take any time at all to get poked. Now wait for 15 minutes before you leave.

It took an hour and a half. But at least it's done. Now in 6 more weeks, we go back for the second Shigrex shot.

Oh, and on one of the forms it asked if we had had two pneumonia shots. Don't know, don't care. Get me outa here.




17 comments:

Kirk said...

I didn't even know there were shots for shingles. Did your doctor recommend you get them?

Mike said...

Kirk - Yes he did. And there is an old kind, a single shot, we had that; then the newer kind, two shots, we're in the process for that one. You have to be over 50. And insurance covers most of it but not all.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Erring on the side of safety :-)
Better than the opposite, so bear with them.

Mike said...

Stu - I've spent so much money at that Walgreens I feel I should have a gold card for that store.

Elephant's Child said...

I should probably have the shingles shot. A friend got shingles this year and was in agony for quite some time.
Sigh on the jumping through hoops. They do my head in. Further.

Mike said...

Sue - Get the two shot Shigrex.

Bilbo said...

We've had the shingles shots, the flu shot, and both Covid shots. Today I'm making the appointment for our Covid booster shots. Sadly, Medicare wouldn't pay for immunization shots against Der Furor's nonsense, even if such a wonderful thing was available.

BootsandBraids said...

I don't think I could have handled those long drawn out telephone calls, especially the last one. I'd have driven all the way back home to get my Medicare card. But good job getting booster and flu in one visit. What with all the preventive shots, we're turning into human pin cushions.

Kathy G said...

They don't make it easy to stay healthy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The joys of bureaucracy!

Country Cottage said...

I think it must be the same the world over! Take hubby to hospital, go to one dept fill out forms, answer questions, have exam- go to second dept fill out forms, answer questions, have exam - same hospital, same computer system! Ho hum, really shouldn't complain as our health care is all covered for us (just seems they'd save money and paper if they coordinated more.)

Mike said...

Bill - I heard there is a shot that makes you love Der Furor. It's called Everclear.

Shirley - We have one more shingles shot to go and I have to investigate this second pneumonia shot I saw mentioned on the form.

Kathy - Soon, all someone will have to do is stand next to me and they will be immune from everything.

Deb - And this is the easy one considering a few other things I have to do.

CC - Every once in a while, someone will send the forms in an email before we go. Then all I have to do is remember to fill them out.

jenny_o said...

Sounds like the process with anything CRA-related: very frustrating, repetitious and time-consuming.

jenny_o said...

Sorry, I should have clarified this: our CRA is your IRS.

Mike said...

Jenny - Yep, lots and lots of fun. And then today, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Amazon getting two problems fixed.
And the google knew what the CRA was.

John A Hill said...

Chris got her shingles shot. I still need to get mine.

Mike said...

Don't forget to get the two shot Shingrex. Shingrix! I think I've been spelling it wrong everywhere in this post.