Tuesday, November 23, 2021

5340 - The day my luck ran out


The day my luck ran out was today (yesterday, Monday). I've gotten I don't know how many vaccinations and never had a reaction. Not even a little bit. Well, I can't say that anymore.

This is over the last 7 or so years...
Yearly flu shot - No problem
Pneumonia - No problem
Shingles - No problem
TDP - No problem
Covid #1 - No problem
Covid #2 - No problem
Shingles type 2 #1 - No problem
Covid booster - No problem
Flu - No problem
Shingles type 2 #2 - BIG PROBLEM

Possible side effects are tiredness, muscle pain, headache, shivering, fever, stomach pain, nausea. 
Out of the seven, I had 4 of them (bold). 

What was really a pain was the shivering. Monday morning (1am) I thought I would make some hot chocolate to warm myself up. Note to self... Don't try to spoon out chocolate powder when your hand is shaking at 60 rpm. It gets messy.

The shivering was gone by 7am but the 100 degree temp stayed around all day. It was a lazy stay in bed day.


While I was getting stabbed, I asked about the latest pneumonia shot. It turns out that the updated pneumonia shot has been updated. 


Is Prevnar 20 replacing Prevnar 13?
PREVNAR 20 is a next-generation pneumococcal conjugate vaccine that includes capsular polysaccharide conjugates for the 13 serotypes (1, 3, 4, 5, 6A, 6B, 7F, 9V, 14, 18C, 19A, 19F, and 23F) already included in Prevnar 13® (Pneumococcal 13-valent Conjugate Vaccine [Diphtheria CRM197 Protein]). Oct 20, 2021


21 comments:

Kirk said...

My mother had shingles, and she had to take morphine to relieve the pain. You're better with the vaccine's side effects, I'd say.

Mike said...

Kirk - That's true but now I can't brag about never having a bad reaction. Not that I would be obnoxious about that or anything. :)

Elephant's Child said...

Kirk is right - and if your luck had to run out there are much worse ways for it to do so.

Bilbo said...

Yes, I can verify that the shingles vaccine is ridiculously painful, although not nearly as bad as shingles itself. It even beat out the yellow fever shot I had to take years ago before a deployment.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I had the original shingles shot and still got shingles. It was mild i hear,but painful as hell. I think I'll take side effects over shingles. Sorry you're feeling bad! I guess I have this to look forward to. Yippee.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those side effects sound nasty! I hope you're feeling better today.

John A Hill said...

Ugh!
Yeah, the shingles shot is on my list of things to do.

Lady M said...

Yikes - I hope you are feeling better.

Mike said...

Sue - I know you two are right but when you're shivering like crazy it's hard to be rational.

Bill - I really didn't have pain more than soreness. Sort of like over exercising (from what I hear).

Peg - Maybe you'll get lucky with no side effects.

Deb - It's 3:30 on Tuesday and I'm feeling back to normal.

John - And the latest pneumonia shot.

Lady - I'm back to normal, whatever that is.

Kathy G said...

I had some side effects from the second shingles shot, but not as bad as yours.

Mike said...

Kathy - The shivering didn't hurt but it was irritating as all get out.

Bohemian said...

I've heard Shingles is a bad thing to have so I've been thinking of getting the vaccine, I do hope no side effects, but pain from Shingles is supposed to be intense so the side effects, tho' unpleasant, are probably easier to bear?

Mike said...

Dawn - I didn't have pain as much as I had soreness. And the shivering was a huge nuisance and didn't last long. Get the 2 shots.

Ole phat stu said...

Had my 3rd covid shot yesterday. The booster. Side effects : fever, shivering, joint pain , headache. Over after 24h.

Mike said...

Stu - Sounds like you had fun too! Headaches are one thing I never get. My wife gets migraines. Me? Nothing. Ever.

Cloudia said...

Dang I'm glad you're okay man!

jenny_o said...

I'm glad you're feeling better now. I've been thinking of getting the shingles vaccine, too, and of trying to convince my elderly (almost 92) mother to have it. Now I'm not so sure. I don't know if I can deal with my mother having a possible reaction, with her loss of memory and confusion. And personally, I hate having a fever, too - I had an eight-hour reaction to my second Covid shot and that was a reminder of how much I hate it! I know, I know - having shingles can be much worse than that. Still ...

Mike said...

Cloudia - I'm back to normal, whatever normal is.

Mike said...

Jenny - The fever I had was low grade, only 100 degrees. Just enough to notice. Like I said, the most annoying thing was the shivering which didn't last long. The tiredness was fixed by sleeping a lot.

Susan Kane said...

I had shingles and it was hell. Left head quadrant, on the cornea, pain like no one can imagine.

I had a shot soon after, all was well. Then had shots #1 and #2. #1 was fine. #2 had me curled up on the couch.

Would I get another. Good question. But, never ever would I want to have another episode of hell.

Mike said...

Susan - It sounds like the shots win! My reactions were far from hell. It's just that I typically don't have ANY reaction to shots. So it was more irritating than anything else. Like, HEY, this isn't supposed to be happening!