Friday, February 18, 2022

5428 - Why exercise doesn't help you lose weight


From the article...

"By borrowing a method developed by physiologists studying obesity, Pontzer and colleagues systematically measure the total energy used per day by animals and people in various walks of life. The answers coming from their data are often surprising: Exercise doesn’t help you burn more energy on average; active hunter-gatherers in Africa don’t expend more energy daily than sedentary office workers in Illinois; pregnant women don’t burn more calories per day than other adults, after adjusting for body mass."

It's a medium-long article that gets into why exercise doesn't help you lose weight. It's a lot more detailed than most articles like this.


From my heart doctor...

"Limited exercise does keep you heart healthier. 30 minutes a day for five days a week. 60 minutes does not equal two days. The benefit of more than 30 minutes falls off rapidly."

Remember the 10,000 steps a day regimen? It seems that was dreamed up by a company trying to sell step counters. A study showed that 4400 steps gave the best benefit, falling off as you get to 7500 steps where no additional benefit is gained. 

I think I need a nap.


10 comments:

River said...

I'm not going to read the article. I already know that exercise only helps if a person also cuts out the cream cakes, the chocolates, the doughnuts, the extra sugar in the coffee.

Bilbo said...

This is probably going to validate Agnes's aversion to excessive exercise.

Kathy G said...

I agree with River, but for me there's more to exercise than just burning calories. If I don't move around on a regular basis I get lethargic and grumpy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ok I'm quitting the gym then

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's all a big CONSPIRACY!

Mike said...

River - I went through a pre-diabetes course that was a year long. I lost 30 pounds. Their focus (via the CDC) was on fat grams along with the 2000 calories a day. Fat grams per day were dependent on weight. I started at 55g and dropped down to 50g. (Yes I did gain it all back. Because I quit counting fat grams.) 😁

Bill - Print the article for her.😁

Kathy - Lethargic and grumpy can be a goal too, can't it?😁

Peg - You don't have the money for a gym membership right now!😁

Deb - Is it a conspiracy when you agree with it? I think not!😁

Time for a nap. 😁

Dave Dubya said...

Yes, but does losing weight help you exercise?

But I hear fidgeting about weight does burn calories.

Mike said...

Dave - It's been proven that fidgeting does burn calories.
And losing weight didn't help me get into an exercise mode.

Lady M said...

Mostly people over estimate how many calories they are burning when they exercise and then compensate by eating more. Change your diet to whole plant foods if you really want to lose weight.

Mike said...

Lady - Or just watch the grams of fat intake every day. Less fat helps you lose weight.