Friday, April 22, 2022

5493 - Decoy nest


I hadn't heard about this trick before. I've got a few places to try it...



"Take as many grocery bags as you need to stuff the paper bag until it’s full and “puffy” looking.

Once your paper bag is full, knot the top off and tie the bag up somewhere high.

Wondering why this cheap and super easy hack works?

The paper bag resembles a hornet’s nest, which wasps and carpenter bees know to stay away from. Unless they want their heads bit off, that is.

With this easy hack not only do you keep the wasps away, but it’s also a nontoxic option as well.

One that keeps everyone safe, humans, animals, and insects alike.

Here’s some tips to use.
Country Living recommends 5 things:

Know that wasps aren’t just attracted to sugary foods and drinks. They’re also drawn to meat.
Keep food and drinks covered. Use lids, caps, and even paper towels or cloth to protect it from wasps.
Avoid using DIY wasp traps since these DIY traps often lure the wasps in.
If a wasp approaches, keep calm and let it move on.
Wasps communicate with their colony when they find a good food source. So if you see one, there are others."


13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What a clever trick. I hope it works.

River said...

I've sent that image to my daughter with the instructions. She gets "paper wasp" nests around her house and also the small mud nests made by Australian native wasps.

Bilbo said...

I think I'm going to try this. We have wasps out the wazoo during summer, making it difficult to sit on the deck sometimes.

Kathy G said...

Give us updates as the season goes on. Last year we had a small mud dauber nest just over our deck door. Thought about asking the HOA if getting rid of it was included in the condo fee, but then the weather got cold and we stopped using the deck.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, I know the fake paper bag wasp's nest trick! And yes, they love meat so that's why it's a pain to BBQ and eat outside in August (that's wasp month here).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's a clever trick that I may need! Thanks for this service announcement.

jenny_o said...

I'm glad you reminded me of this trick because there were quite a few wasps around here last summer. The first time I ever saw this used was in a tiny restaurant in Cape Breton. They had no screen door but had a paper bag hung in the doorway. When we asked what is was for, they said it kept out flying bugs - not just wasps, but any bugs that would be prey for wasps as well. I guess the flies, etc. recognized it as a wasp nest too. And no, there was not a single fly or bug in that restaurant despite the food and cooking smells.

Cloudia said...

What will you come up with next! I really enjoyed your posts Mike.

Mike said...

Sue - Next grocery store visit I'm getting paper bags.

River - This is going to be a worldwide test.

Bill - My problem will be keeping the bags dry.

Kathy - You should just put some up and see who complains.

Deb - Have they worked for you?

Peg - Get that bag stuffing going.

Jenny - Knock on paper. I hope it works.

Cloudia - OH NO! Pressure to do better!

allenwoodhaven said...

Very interesting trick! Glad to now know it. Could have used it years ago.

Mike said...

Allen - Me too.

Martha said...

This is really smart!

Mike said...

Martha - I still haven't been to the grocery store to get a supply of paper bags so my project is on hold.