Thursday, May 19, 2022

5520 - The transfer - part 3


Continued from previous two posts.

N. I'm getting updates every day from the post office. Your package will arrive Friday, your package will arrive Friday. My MIL's mail can show up anywhere from 11:00AM to 8:00PM. I happened to be up and out early that Friday. Before I went back home I thought I should stop by MIL's and see if today was an early delivery day. It WAS! There was the package!

O. I take the mail up to her. I open the package. WTF is this? The sim card is way too big! WAIT! I pop the sim card out of the main card it's in. It looks too big. The outside band pops off. It's still too big. WAIT. There's another band to pop off. Still a little too big. WAIT. There's another band to pop off. So each band allows one size sim card to fit three different size slots. And there are the instructions right on the card the sim card came out of. (I don't need no stinkin' instructions!)

P. I put the new sim card in the base unit. Is it going to work? Of course not. I have to call CC to have them activate the new card. I call and get tech number who knows. He has to read the notes. He says turn off the unit. He activates something. Now turn the unit back on. IT FRIKIN' WORKS! 

Q. I tell him that my MIL hasn't had phone service for two weeks and she should get credit and may some free service for her troubles. Well you see, a bill hasn't been generated yet but he's sure when they do that 2 weeks will be taken into consideration. Why am I not comforted by his assurance?

R. Now to call A to make sure they stop billing. A says it looks like the transfer took place on the 5th. That was two days into the new billing cycle so A will have to charge for two days of service. I say but she didn't have any "service". She had a dial tone but no incoming. A says yes she did. When A transferred the phone number, they gave my MIL temporary service, dial tone, and a NEW NUMBER so she could get calls during the transfer. Didn't anyone tell me that? ... $^&#^$%*(@#%$^$* NO!

S. So it's over, right? Not really. We'll see how much the two day AT&T bill is and how much is taken off the CC bill. I see more MIL complaining coming up.

The End... or not.


16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I doubt very much that it is over yet. And feel for you. Big time.

Mike said...

Sue - I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop while wondering how many feet there are.

Ol' Simmons said...

This experience was really quite invigorating, with Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (Serenade number 13 in G major) playing in the background. It's kind of the way they used to do cartoons on a Saturday morning. Nothing really funny, just frustrating experiences (like Tom and Jerry) with some up tempo classical music.

River said...

(I don't need no stinkin' instructions!)
Hah! how very manly of you.

Bilbo said...

Pretty much any woman in my family would have been at the CC main office, either banging the new base unit on a desk into small pieces or trying to see which bodily orifice on the customer "service" rep it could be shoved into most painfully.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Frustrating!

Kathy G said...

And your experience is exactly why I pay more each month to stay with the name-brand carriers.

Mike said...

Simmons - I haven't heard Tom and Jerry mentioned in forever. Nice!

River - I was being very manly man manly.

Bill - Being a retired telephone man I was determined to beat the system I came from.

Deb - It becomes a game after a while.

Kathy - I don't know what I would do if I wasn't getting the retiree discount. I know retirees that have left their discounts behind because it's so frustrating dealing with AT&T these days. I get a big discount on the landlines and a 20% discount on internet and cell phones. And do you think they would tell me about any specials that would beat the discounts I get? Huh? What do you think? Huh? Oh hell no.

jenny_o said...

I'm getting a headache just thinking about this crazy-making stuff. I could understand (although oppose) an old carrier making it hard for folks to leave their system, but for a carrier to make it hard for a NEW customer to get into the system just makes no sense whatsoever. And yet, it happens. And with so many people involved in the process, no one has to take any responsibility. Maybe that's the root cause. I admire your persistence and hope the billing is correct when it comes, although I'd bet it won't be.

jenny_o said...

P. S. Pretty cool about the SIM card, though.

Mike said...

Jenny - When the bills come in I can already hear the BS excuses on why they are like they are and no we can't change them.

Country Cottage said...

I hate dealing with phone/internet providers. There are no offices or shops any more and everything is done on the phone - usually overseas calls the first three times until you finally get someone within country - then you spend days explaining the problem over and over before a succession of repair men show up. 😤 Hope your bill gets sorted easily and quickly 🤞

Cloudia said...

Oh the humanity!

Mike said...

CC - The repairman parade is another story from 3 or 4 years ago.

Cloudia - I think I talked to most of humanity before this was done.

Lady M said...

Your a good son in law.

Mike said...

Lady - I try as best I can.