Friday, August 12, 2022

5605 - Wasp update


Remember the post about the paper bag trick to fool wasps?


I had my yearly wasps come back to their usual spot on the eaves of my front porch. I put up the paper bag trick near the wasp nest. Two days later I thought to check on how my deception was working. Not only were the wasps gone, but they took their mud house with them. The spot where they typically build was clean as a whistle. 

I had the bag taped up and it has since fallen down. So I just left it lying on the porch. No wasps have come back. 

So I can say for me, the trick works. 


10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am very glad to read this. Non-toxic AND effective.

River said...

I'd forgotten about that trick, but don't have wasps here anyway. I did tell my daughter at the time since she gets wasps under the back porch roof. I'll have to check if she tried it.

Mike said...

Sue - More so than I thought it would be.

River - It works!

Bilbo said...

I wonder if hanging up briefcases would fool lawyers?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good news!

Kathy G said...

Glad to hear your hack worked.

S M McBean said...

We bought a pack of several mock wasp nests a few tears ago. They do work and are pretty durable. We hung one on a branch near our deck this spring and the closest wasps this year are on the other side of the house.
Bilbo's notion makes we wonder about hanging up Seventh Day Adventist pamphlets. Would it work on Mormons too?

Mike said...

Bill - You might attract the FBI.

Deb - Absolutely!

Kathy - Me too.

SMM - I didn't think to look for premade mock nests. I wonder if Amazon has some... Hmmmmm. OF COURSE THEY DO! Why didn't I look there? Even though the homemade bag is basically free, a $10 foam one from Amazon can get wet from rain and not fall apart.

Martha said...

Good stuff! They packed up and left.

Mike said...

Martha - They did!